If you have a website and you want other people to be able to reach it, you must necessarily have hosting. And once you’ve done that you also want your site to be safe, so you’ll need to equip yourself with an SSL certificate. But let’s go slowly, step by step.
Table of Contents
What is website hosting and what does it involve
Website hosting is an Internet hosting service that companies provide to customers to host their site and make it available online for visitors from all over the world.
The website hosting service provider allocates space on a web server to store a site’s files (code, images, etc.) and it’s content. It also provides the owner with the resources to create and maintain their site in a certain searchable space and provides visitors with the ability to access the site, for example when typing in the domain name.
But what does website hosting include?
• Typically, web hosting has one or more servers that host the site. Servers can be physical or virtual, providing physical space, electricity, and an internet connection.
• Configure the Domain Name System to define site names and direct them to host servers
• A web server running on the host
In addition, for each site hosted by the server:
• Space on servers to store the files that make up the site
• Site-specific configuration
• Often, a database
• Software and credentials that allow customers to log in and allow them to build, organize and modify the site